This month we will be talking about the future of our generation and how to best protect them to maintain health and vitality! We will be going over different aspects to keep our kiddos healthy. This week we will be talking about the health of their brain in nervous system, then on to nutritional recommendations/protocols, EMFs and digital toxins, and stress protocols.
Brain & Nervous System Health
As I’ve said before in previous blogs, chiropractic and nervous system health is VITAL for all, but ESPECIALLY in children is where we can make the biggest impact.
The most dynamic phase of brain development is from birth to age 2, so it is here we have the biggest impact. This is why I see so many infants in my practice, we can actually CHANGE their future by maintaining the health of the brain and nervous system.
The brain and nervous system control every function within our body. So, ultimately when the brain and nervous system aren’t in harmony, then our body won’t be either.
Same goes for kids.
What often most happens with children is birth trauma. It largely goes unspoken of and consequently our little babies are largely under treated. Left untreated, birth trauma can lead to a sequela of complications both short and long term.
Some contributing factors may include intrauterine constraint, drug use such as ptocin to increase the intensity of contractions, forceps or vacuum extraction and c-section delivery. According to a study in the Journal of American Osteopathic Association, out of 1500 babies 90% had suffered birth trauma affecting their cervical spine and cranial bones and thus their nervous system health.
If your kids aren’t at school age yet, getting their brain and nervous system checked should be your main priority to set them up for success.
But, since this blog IS about school aged children, cranial chiropractic care should also be part of their health checks.
Why you say??
One main reason is that when there is pressure on the brain, the brain won’t work efficiently. This means for kids trying to learn a wide variety of subjects, their ability to absorb/understand won’t be efficient. Their neuroplasticity will be decreased as a result.
This is why working one the head is my priority #1. Fix the nervous system, heal the body.
Another reason… immune system. The nervous system controls that too. When it’s weak, that means your immune system is compromised, your kids will be sick more, miss more days from school and overall not be happy.
Reason number 3, body pains/injuries. This is what I describe to my patients. The muscles are dumb. They only do what they are told from the nervous system. So, if the signal to the muscle is improper then the muscle will be weak, and more prone to injury. You want to prevent injuries for kids in sports and otherwise? Make sure you get routine care for their nervous system. Want them to heal from injuries quicker, then get them in immediately after an injury to ensure the brain doesn’t have time to create an improper compensatory pattern that will be permanent.
Reason number 4. Sleep!. The parasympathetic nervous system is the part of our nervous system that controls rest and digestion. When not being stimulated, your child will have difficultly getting into that stage. Cranial chiropractic care directly stimulates this system, and even my adult patients can tell you feeling relaxed after care is alwayssss felt. Its because of this system.
Reason number 5. Better focus. As mentioned in number one, the brain won’t work as efficiently when inflamed, but also the emotional brain won’t work as well either. When in that sympathetic phase, fight or flight, the child can’t calm down, and forget about focusing. Stabilizing the head and brain through care will inevitably also cause changes in mood stability as well. This helps kids stay fun and lighthearted.
Reason number 6. Less allergies. Airborne wise, when the sinuses are draining properly, less allergies will happen. Additionally, when digestion is running smoothly because of that parasympathetic stimulation, they will react less to foods. This doesn’t mean they still get to eat whatever they want, we will go into that next week, but their reaction will be decreased because their inflammation is down. They will also be able to process toxins better. When the lymphatic flow is balanced, things will be eliminated better.
Reason number 7. Improve posture by promoting body balance. We see bad posture everywhere is school aged children now. Texting and screens definitely don’t help, as well as improper backpack usage, but chiropractic and cranial work can dramatically affect the posture in a child. This not only improves function but also promotes self esteem. Scoliosis is a CRANIAL problem. AGAIN, scoliosis is a CRANIAL problem because of torsion of the brain tissue and spinal cord. If left untreated this can cause a myriad of symptoms for your child later on including lung and heart function and pain and discomfort.
Reason number 8. Bed wetting. Bed wetting can occur and still does occur frequently.In a study, 46 enuretic children that were placed under chiropractic care. The children were under care for a 10 week period preceded by and followed by a 2 week nontreatment period.
25% of the treatment-group children had 50% or more reduction in the wet night frequency from baseline to post-treatment while none among the control group had such reduction.
I will also say, being a researcher myself and going to international chiropractic conferences to speak, that mostly all the chiropractic research is a good majority from osteopathy and cranial work. Meaning cranial care trumps all! 🙂
Reasons kids miss school, and ways chiropractic helps alleviate this:
1. Ear infections: Chiropractic research with EAR infections showed that 93% improved 75% in 10 days or less, 43% with one for 2 treatments.
2. Sick: There are a number of research articles that have consistently shown bursts of white blood cell activity following chiropractic adjustments, and recent research out of the University of Virginia Medical School just found that the lymphatic system has direct contact with the brain!
3. Asthma: There is a growing amount of research and case studies supporting the efficacy of chiropractic adjustments in helping children with asthma. Chiropractic adjustments can help children better deal with conditions such as asthma by reducing irritation on the nervous system and boosting the healing ability of the body.
4. ADD/ADHD:There is a growing body of research that is linking physical stress of the nervous system to the undesirable behaviors that are common to the diagnosis ADHD. How many of these kids are suffering with subluxation or nerve irritation that has gone undiagnosed? They can’t calm down the brain.
5. Bullying at school. The Report is largely made up of cases histories of all the 244 boys many of whom undoubtedly suffered from various emotional and learning disorders.
I have been able to notice a marked improvement in the mental and physical condition of the boys and in school work and conduct; also, there has been a larger number of paroles during that period than any previous period during the past four years.”
“We have been able to accomplish results far beyond their fondest hopes and expectations in the rehabilitation of these boys. The teachers have voluntarily and without solicitation signed a petition asking for an all-time or full-time chiropractor in that institution.”
6. Female issues related to menstruation. Women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) are more likely to have spinal dysfunction, compared with PMS-free women,. Investigators examined 54 women with PMS and 30 women without PMS.
A relatively high incidence of spinal dysfunction exists in PMS sufferers compared with a comparable group of non-PMS sufferers. This is suggestive that spinal dysfunction could be a causative factor in PMS and that chiropractic manipulative therapy may offer an alternative therapeutic approach for PMS sufferers.”
Walsh MJ, Polus BI, T. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1999 May; 22 (4): 216-220
7. Fatigue/ Tired. More than 60% of the population adults and children battle sleep.
Studies show that chiropractic can actually help with insomnia allowing you to get better, more restful, and more beneficial sleep.
The combination of pain alleviation, increased flexibility, and overall wellness as well as stress relieving properties allow your body and mind to relax so that you can fall asleep easier and stay asleep. Incorporating chiropractic care into your everyday routine can help you get a better night’s sleep.
8. Pains/Growing Pains. Growing pains are NOT normal, they are a sign of nervous system stress. Here is a case study showing how chiropractic care improves pain. After one visit, the patient did not complain of leg pain for three days. After 7 visits, the mother reported that his son was sleeping through the night without leg pains. By the 15th , the child had remained for the most part symptom-free for almost 3 weeks.
This can all be applied to college aged kids as well, where the intellectual demand is even higher!! Chiropractic should be part of your health care!!
OIL OF THE WEEK
An exceptional addition to the resinous oils doTERRA offers, Copaiba is extracted from copaiba trees in the Amazon rainforest. The essential oil is steam distilled from the copaiba oleoresin, a substance made up of resin and essential oils. The collection process of the oleoresin is unique among essential oils—it is tapped from the tree in a similar way to how maple trees are for their syrup. The oleoresin is then steam distilled to produce the essential oil.
Our Favorite Uses
Copaiba is a incredibly versatile oil that has been used for centuries. See some of our favorite ways to use Copaiba below:
- For your skin. Copaiba has the capability of keeping your skin clear and clean while reducing the appearance of blemishes. To take advantage of this benefit, add Copaiba to your toner and apply to your face in upward circular motions. Or, apply it directly your skin before applying moisturizer.
- As a personal fragrance. Oils that blend well with Copaiba include Roman Chamomile, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Frankincense, or Ylang Ylang. Using any of these oils that appeal to you, create your own personal fragrance in a roller bottle, and then fill the rest of the bottle with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- For whole-body wellness. Most of the body can benefit from Copaiba—it supports the cardiovascular, immune, digestive, nervous, and immune system.* South Americans have used copaiba resin for the health of many of these same systems. To take advantage of these benefits, add one to two drops to water, juice, or make your own tea using warm water and honey.
- To calm occasional anxious feelings. When you’re facing a stressful day ahead or feeling worried, diffusing Copaiba’s woody scent can help calm any anxious feelings you may be experiencing.
- As a way to protect and support your cells. Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to take advantage of the antioxidants—the substance that stops potential damage to your cells from oxidation.*
- To unwind. Diffuse it in your room and focus on the scent to fall into a meditative state. Or, you can also use in a calming bath by adding two to three drops to body wash before mixing it in the water.
The Chemistry of Copaiba
The synergy of chemical constituents in Copaiba makes it unique. Copaiba’s main chemical component is beta-caryophyllene, a chemical similar to cannabinoids found in cannabis that may protect nerve cells and have benefits for the cardiovascular and immune systems.* However, while caryophyllene is responsible for some of the bioactive properties of Copaiba, many of the other properties of the oil are thanks to the diterpenes uniquely found in Copaiba.
Copaifera officinalis trees are evergreen trees native to Central and South America, where it flourishes best in tropical rainforest habitats (though it can grow in both wet and dry forests). The trees themselves are tall, and can grow to more than 100 feet tall.
The Amazon rainforest represents over half of the planet’s remaining rainforests. doTERRA is proud to partner with a large network of copaiba harvesters that sustainably collect their oleoresin and ensure that the trees will be around for years to come.
AMAZING Avocado Gelato
A great go to for kids without all the sugar. Also a great brain food!
2 tbsp chocolate protein powder
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup avocado (cut in cubes)
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
1 drop stevia, chocolate flavor
1 tsp coconut butter
- In a blender, mix all the ingredients except coconut flakes. Blend until creamy and smooth. Mixture should be very thick!
- Smooth entire contents into a cake pan or drop in tablespoon-sized balls (like cookies, but a little thinner) onto a cookie sheet. Note that it is easier to spread the mixture into a cake pan, but it is a little more challenging to cut it after it has been frozen. Dropping onto a cookie sheet can be a little messy, but it is easier to grab and eat after freezing. Try it both ways and see how you like it.
- Sprinkle coconut over the top.
- Place cake pan or cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 2 hours until frozen.
- Serve as a frozen treat. They taste like Fudgesicles!
That is all for now,
Wishing you a Happy and Healthy Week.
How Chiropractic Boosts Fertility ( Men & Women)
Happy Monday Everyone! Continuing on this week about Fertility, We are going to be diving in to each section of last week’s blog. Natural options as to how we can BOOST fertility in men AND women.
I’m SOO Glad you asked! 🙂
Let’s do a little anatomy review here first:
Your brain sends signals through nerves that go specifically to your heart, to signal it to beat.The same thing happens in your hormone regulation.
There is a gland in your brain called the pituitary gland….
(not my picture)
This gland sends signals to: for women, the ovaries, and men the testes. (It also sends signals to other organs, but for the sake of this topic we will talk about this).
This gland sits in a bone in the head called the sphenoid bone. Its like a little saddle that holds this gland in place.
However, this bone, the sphenoid is pretty much the center of all cranial bone movement.
This is a view from the inside of the skull (looking in)
(not my picture)
Because of it’s location, any slight disruption in the movement can cause pressure into the pituitary gland.
What disrupts it?
A few things can cause disruption within the movement of this bone:
1. Birth. The birth process itself can put pressure on certain areas of the head, that aren’t “normal” . Sometimes the body is able to adapt, and the bones will naturally move into their correct place, other times (for most of us), they need guiding to get back into their original position. This is where craniopathy care comes in.
2. Any head trauma. Hitting your head as a child, concussions, even just rocking the head back and forth disrupts the movement.
3. Clenching of the teeth. Do you clench your teeth? DO you know you clench your teeth? A good majority of my patients had NO idea they were clenchers. Even their dentists never told them or didn’t know. Clenching is a sign that there is dysfunction in the cranial system and inflammation. The more you clench the more stress on the cranial system and on that delicate pituitary gland.
4. Emotional trauma. This can cause disruption within the flow of these bones as well. The cranial system is intricately connected to the emotional system. Usually one affects the other.
5. Low back/pelvis injuries. Since the body is connected low back injuries affect the upper regions as well and can make the body going into compensatory patterns, which put the cranial bones in abnormal positions.
So… If there is disruption, then the SIGNAL from the pituitary won’t get effectively to the sex organs, because the connection is poor. It’s like someone tripped the breaker switch.
The same goes for nerves that actually stimulate the sex organs.
The lumbar spine, which is your LOW BACK, has nerves that come directly out of the discs and canals in the vertebrae. These nerves control the function of the organs.
(not my picture)
So if the nerve coming out of that vertebrae in the low back is not functioning properly, the organs that are innervated by that region will not function well either.
How do the nerves in the low back get compromised?
In chiropractic we call it a “subluxation”, meaning the movement within that joint is not proper, which then affects the nerves. The abnormal movement makes the signaling compromised.
Some examples of how they get compromised:
-sitting too much
-pelvic floor dysfunction
These are all examples of what makes that low back area get dysfunctional.
In my practice, I have seen hormone cases where they have taken everything in the book for fertility. And it’s just as simple as actually getting the nerves functioning through craniopathy specific chiropractic that makes the difference.
You see, you can give all the supplements in the world, but if the nerve signal isn’t getting to the organ, or your brain is inflamed, fertility will not be optimal. The supplements you take probably won’t be as affective either.
Get the nervous system functioning first, and then fill in the gaps nutritionally and emotionally.
This is why chiropractic is #1 in my 120 day fertility program.
Heal the brain and nervous system, and see what the body can do!
This goes for men too. When signaling isn’t proper, your sex organs and hormone regulation won’t be as great either, which means the genetics you are making for your child won’t be optimal either…
You didn’t know you can change your genes to create the healthiest baby?! That’s for another day….
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you are all enjoying this month’s topic about detoxing! Last week we talked about products in your home, which I hope was enlightening to you, because as I mentioned, that is just your home! And these exposures over time create may problems. We will deal with other aspects like food, water, birth control, ect in a later topic..
Because we are surrounded on a daily basis, it is important that our pathways of elimination are always working for us! It’s going to get a little personal today, so put on your seat belts we will be talking about elimination!
The legend goes that at one time the most important person in the ancient Chinese emperor’s court was the “royal physician”, who had the very critical task of inspecting the emporer’s morning bowel movement. Sign me up for that job? …..
The medical doctor’s role was dedicated to creating the emperor’s daily meal plan and itinerary of activities based on his daily insepction. Regardless of the legend being true, this coincides with the tenants of traditional chinese medicine that we can observe so much about our health from our OWN bodies. For one, our stool is an important indicator for our overall health. It’s actually one of the only things we can actually examine to determine where our health is headed. The signs of congested elimination are literally in front of your eyes every single day.
Truth of the matter is, when your pathways of elimination are congested, your body cannot get rid of toxins such as chemicals that interfere with the production, release, transport, metabolism or elimination of the body’s natural hormones which can occur through air, water, soil, food and consumer products. ( last week’s blog). Now pile on the issues of mismanaged blood sugar ( a good majority of us) and adrenal fatigue (yup all of us again at some point), which further interferes with your body’s natural ability to clean out it’s own system, and you’ve got a monopoly free pass collect 100 dollars to hormone imbalance.
Your stool isn’t the only way your body gets rid of toxins though. There are four other pathways that also deal with elimination and they are all interconnected.
1. Liver and Large Intestine
These are your internal garbage processors, compacting and moving the big stuff such as digested food, toxins, chemicals and hormonal waste every single day!
The liver’s primary purpose is to convert fat-soluble toxins (most) into water soluble waste through at two step process so that your body can excrete them via sweat, urine and bowel movements. Hormones are fat soluble because that allows them to stay in the body longer.
Phase 1– the liver breaks them down using nutrients like glutathione, B vitamins, and C vitamins (from the food you eat). This breakdown causes free radicals which are toxic, and so phase 2 is also vital and needs to happen.
Phase 2- Selenium and amino acids in the liver combine these free radicals and make them harmless and water soluble.
It then enters into the gallbladder, mixes with bile and leaves the body via the large intestine. The last substance needed is adequate fiber so the large intestine can bind the waste and make sure it leaves quickly.
** Now an important point here, you can’t just supplement with these nutrients and expect the pathways to clear. These nutrients don’t become bioavailable when you take them as typical supplements, if you eat them as they naturally occur in foods, the body can easily recognize them. It’s important to consume enough and use whole food supplementation as needed to fill in the gaps and support both phases of detoxification. If you don’t complete phase 2 because of a lack of nutrients, you’re exposing yourself to a greater degree of toxins.
When you wake up in the morning, have a glass of water and feel the urge to have a bowel movement within about 20 minutes of waking, this is successful elimination in this pathway. If it’s longer than that, or if you require a cup of coffee to get things rolling your are constipated!. Even if you go later in the day. The reason being is because the liver stops working around 3am in it’s cycle, so by the time you wake up, you have been clearing yesterday’s waste for the past 12 hours. If you don’t get proper elimination, the toxins and other chemicals work their way back through and become reabsorbed through the bloodstream. This can lead to menstrual, fertility, libido, and chronic conditions.
Your skin is your largest organ! That’s why products in your home were so important to be clean. It has to handle whatever the large intestine and liver are unable to eliminate. It does so by exerting waste, by sweat. Have you ever noticed when you are stressed or upset, the sweat from your armpits smells foul? That’s a sign your pathways of elimination are congested and your skin is trying to expel it.
Cystic acne, rosacea, eczema, often are all signs the other systems haven’t been working well!
3. Lymphatic System
The lymphatic system is a network of organs, nodes ducts, and vessels that produce and transport lymph, a fluid made up of white blood cells. This system sweeps up metabolic waste, toxins, dead cells, and excess fluid from your organs and deposits them into your bloodstream, which eventually transfers them to the liver and large intestine. When it’s clogged, the organs and parts of the body that deposit waste into it become backed up too.
When it works efficiently, your lymphatic system directs white blood cells to germs and other invaders and helps you fight off infections. When congested, it still attracts these bugs and transports them throughout your body, dumping them into the bloodstream, putting at a greater risk.
You can also experience allergies, high blood pressure, chronic sinusitis and can develop autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus with clogged lymphatics.
Just like the liver, the kidneys process toxins all the time and are very sensitive to chronic exposure. Instead of eliminating through the bowels, it’s elimination is through the urinary system. An over abundance of chemicals, hormones and low numbers of minerals and electrolytes leading to dehydration puts this organ and relationship out of balance, and can also lead to kidney stones, low back pain and infections.
So there it is…..
I would also state that our oral health and respiratory system and lungs are also areas that are pretty vulnerable to these toxins.
Those in the 30 day oil pulling challenge are already seeing results by detoxifying their mouth which detoxifies your overall body.
So, as you all know I do detoxes every year. I’m think of starting the 21 day detox program after the 30 day oil pulling challenge is complete, starting mid may.
If you would like to join the challenge, please let me know. This is the best and most accurate whole food nutrition cleanse I have found in all of my studies. We unfortunately just don’t get enough nutrients in our food because of the quality and soil, and as we know are over exposed all the time to toxins.
If you’re interested let me know and I’ll reach out to you when it gets closer.
The fee is $250 which includes all the supplements, food plan and a private Facebook group that will guide you each day through the cleanse.
OIL OF THE WEEK
On the Spotlight this week is DoTerra’s Cypress. Cypress essential oil can be used for its aromatic and topical benefits. Cypress essential oil is composed of monoterpenes, which can help improve the appearance of oily skin. It can also be applied topically to give the body an energizing lift. The chemical structure of Cypress essential oil also contributes to its renewing and uplifting fragrance. When used aromatically, Cypress produces a clean aroma that has both an invigorating and grounding effect on the emotions. Due to Cypress essential oil’s rejuvenating aroma and skin benefits, it is commonly used in spas and by massage therapists.
Cypress Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
1. A salve can be an effective way to enjoy the aromatic benefits of essential oils. Try making your own Cypress salve with this DIY Soothing Salve recipe. The addition of Cypress oil to the other oils in this recipe creates an invigorating vapor that can be useful during winter months. This salve has the texture of petroleum jelly and can be customized to fit your needs.
2. Needing the energy to get up and run? Don’t sweat it, just apply Cypress essential oil to your feet and legs prior to a long run. The vitalizing sensation of Cypress essential oil on your skin will give you the motivational boost you need to endure and enjoy your long run.
3. Oily skin is a common problem for many people. If you are looking for a way to reduce the shiny glow of oily skin, add Cypress essential oil to your daily routine. To rid your skin of the oily look, add one to two drops of Cypress essential oil to help improve the appearance of oily skin. This addition to your daily toner can help you feel more confident in your external radiance.
4. Fill the air with the fresh scents of essential oils in this Cypress diffuser blend. Add Lime and Cypress essential oils in the diffuser of your choice for an invigorating scent. The soft, woody aroma of Cypress essential oil will work to renew and uplift the senses while the scent of Lime will help purify the air. This diffuser combination is perfect for diffusing in times of transition or when feeling a lack of energy.
5. Cypress essential oil is known for its skin benefits. Don’t miss out on Cypress oil’s amazing qualities. Topically apply Cypress essential oil for a cleansing and calming effect.
6. Fill your home with the scent of fresh forest air by using this essential oil diffuser blend. Add two drops of Cypress, three drops White Fir, and one drop Cedarwood for a refreshing, woodsy aroma. These three tree-based oils will give you the feel of a fresh evergreen forest that will be perfect for any outdoor lover.
7. Are you wanting a renewed and fresh look for your skin? Try using the topical benefits of Cypress essential oil by adding it to doTERRA’s unscented Spa Hand & Body Lotion. This homemade, Cypress-infused lotion can also be used for its aromatic benefits to produce a grounding and stimulating scent when applied.
8. Give yourself a little piece of relaxation at the end of the day by using Cypress essential oil in a bath. For optimal results, add a half cup of Epsom salt and three drops of Cypress essential oil to a warm tub to help your body relax and revitalize after a stressful day.
9. When you are feeling stagnant, inhale Cypress essential oil directly from the bottle. Inhaling Cypress has many benefits and can have a grounding and stimulating effect on the emotions. Because Cypress essential oil contains a variety monoterpenes, its aromatic compounds help to uplift and give you the added boost you may need. Also, important in lymphatic drainage and getting the lymph system working!
Due to its erect and evergreen features, the cypress tree is commonly used for cemetery landscaping.
The Cypress tree, commonly used in landscapes, is a perennial evergreen. Defining features of this tree are its upright and tall form. These trees can grow to exceptional heights of 60 to 80 feet tall. The foliage of the Cypress tree is dark green and scale like. The tree also produces cones that are 1.5 inches across. These cones are woody and scaly and usually take two years to mature. The origin of the Cypress tree is the Mediterranean area and western Asia.1
Chemistry of Cypress Essential Oil
Main Chemical Components: α-pinene, carene, limonene
The three main chemical components of Cypress essential oil are α-pinene, carene, and limonene. Both limonene and α-pinene are part of the monoterpenes group and have strong uplifting characteristics. α-pinene is also well known as a chemical with powerful renewing properties. To learn more about the chemical components found in Cypress oil or other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.