It’s that time of year again, where we all need some detoxing! As some of you know, I do a detox about two times a year, because as you will read in today’s blog, we are surrounded, yes SURROUNDED by toxins on a daily basis.
That being said, I’m not trying to “scare” you or make you become paranoid, what I do want to to is educate you. We don’t know what we don’t know right? The goal is for us to control what we CAN control, like things in our home. What I can tell you is these facts:
- 1 in 9 women suffer from the condition PCOS
- Fibroids occur in 3 out of 10 women
- 1 in 10 have endometriosis
- 13 million have under active thyroid conditions
- 1 in 8 couples are infertile
- fibrocytic breasts affect 20 to 40% menstruating women
- 7 million women meet the criteria for clinical depression
- every 10 minutes, 12 hysterectomies are performed in the US
- in the past 10 years male sperm count has decreased by 50%
What I can tell you is this pearl of wisdom: You can’t “fix” a hormonal issue.. The only way your body can achieve hormonal balance is if ……drum roll…..
1. Pesticides in our food, pesticides in our home ( maybe to ward off insects like bug spray)
2. Home cleaning products/laundry detergent/dryer sheets
3. Trans fats
5. Plastics- BPA and chemicals leak into our food, especially microwaving in plastic
6. The Most toxic food containers- Styrofoam
8. Birth control
9. Body skin products
Let’s talk about a typical day in the life…And what you can be exposed to just in your home. This might be shocking to you, but the goal is for you to realize the immense need for detoxing and getting these products out.
Getting up- One of the first things you do….
- Brush your teeth- Most toothpastes have Fluoride in them. (Oil Pulling Challenge pitch here we will talk extensively about this)
- Fluroide is linked to cancer, Dvelopmental/reproductive toxiticy is a neurotoxin
- Also contains Triclosan – Raises Testosterone
- Mouth Wash
- Artificial Sweeteners like aspartame, or saccharin have been shown to cause depression, anxiety, memory loss and mood swings
- triclosan- raises testosterone
- Wash your hands
- Soap and Sanitizers- Triclosan raises testosterone, also creates resistant bacteria
- Fragrance- undisclosed mixture of up to 2000 different chemicals listed under the title “fragrance” . It is protected by companies so they don’t have to tell you what’s in it.
- Get into the Shower
- Fragrance in soap. Associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential side effects on the reproductive system
- Parabens in shampoo and conditioner preservatives mimic estrogen and can as act hormone disruptors
- Propane and sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) in shaving cream, registered pesticide.
- Chlorine in the water
- Chlorine used in bleaching of paper products like toilet paper
- Dry off with a towel that has been dried with fabric softener sheets (fragrance) or maybe washed with bleach. DRYER Sheets are the most dangerous ingredients in your home! Chemicals, chemicals chemicals in these sheets.
- Out of the shower
- Lather up with lotion, more parabens and fragrance
- hair products- more parabens and fragracne
- makeup- women who use makeup absorb almost 5 pounds of chemicals into their bodies each year! Its up to you to read labels, they aren’t approved by FDA
- put on deodorant that contains aluminum that is a heavy metal and disrupts hormones
- wash your hands again before you head downstairs or into your kitchen, antibacterial hand soap- triclosan
- touch up your fingernail polish- which has phylates (DBP, DEHP), EPA classifies as possible carcinogen, found in fragrances and perfumes too. Think of those poor nail salon workers.
The average women has 12 products she uses every single day... and if they are the run of the mill products, she’s exposed to 168 chemicals, men use 6 products daily exposing them to 85 chemicals per day! And you haven’t even left the bathroom!
- Get Dressed
- residue from dry cleaning chemicals used on your clothes
- pour yourself a cup of coffee, in your travel mug that has an inner plastic lining and a plastic lid that is leaching BPA. Then you add your favorite sugar, some still use splenda, which is an organochlorine, in the same class of chemicals as mustard gas! Then maybe soy milk into your coffee, which is an estrogen disruptor and most likely genetically modified
- Grab a yogurt for the road, if not organic, contains bovine growth hormones
- apple for a morning snack sounds great! it’s the most highly sprayed crop in our country and what do pesticides do? They stop reproduction and kill… Coffee is number 2 sprayed crop if not organic.
- Fill up that plastic water bottle you carry around with you and chemicals in the plastic leach into your water.
You can see how exposure over time, can lead to so many hormone problems! It’s not wonder we have all of those conditions originally mentioned. Our bodies are so confused from the exposure.
Here are some consequences of hormone imbalances:
- Thin, fragile dry skin
- decreased cognitive function
- low libido
- breast cancer
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- Hot Flashes
- Foggy Brain
Can you see the need?
So, While you are Spring Cleaning, Start Cleaning out your home! Detoxing can start just purging your home and products of all of these chemicals. An awesome substitute is using Pure Essential Oils like Doterra, and all their natural products. If you need help switching over to oils, let me know.. My entire home is now chemical free with Oils, Kangan Water and non toxic beauty products.
I hope this enlightened you this week.
Here are some extra resources:
- A shoppers guide to safe cosmetics- www.EWG.org/skindeep
- EWG Healthy Living APP for products and food
- The dirty dozen shopping guide to avoid pesticides- www.foodnews.org. Download the app
- Think Dirty App for scanning products before purchase
- Add 1–2 drops to citrus drinks, teas, or water to support healthy liver function.*
- Take one drop daily for one week as part of an internal cleansing regimen or to kick-start a New Year’s resolution.*
- Apply to abdomen or bottoms of feet to support the body’s natural detoxification system.
Directions for Use
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.