Happy Monday Warriors!
It’s 2020!! I can’t believe it! I was laughing with a patient this past week about not thinking we would make it to 2020 haha. But, we definitely have arrived, and in full swing!
Thanks for all who came a couple weeks ago to our mobility workshop! I hope you learned some tips to keep your body moving. If you are sad you missed it, we WILL be holding another next month so make sure you let us know!
This year is gong to be a big year for my practice I can feel it. I’m continuing to write my book, and in fact alot of this blog is coming directly from that. I’m also wanting to start a podcast very soon. If someone is very familiar with running podcasts or would love to donate time, ect. let me know! There’s so many things I’d like to do, but time!!! Right? Finding that balance.
Also! If you are a patient of mine, I have created a private account on MeWe. Its a social media platform similar to Facebook. I wanted to create a community for my patients to talk about various health topics, and not be censored like facebook does. I also wanted a place for you guys to share maybe about things that you do and offer! A real community! It can feel isolated especially for some of my families that don’t vaccinate, to find like minded communities. So, if you don’t have an account GET ONE! Add me Dr Rachel Hamel, then I will add you to the group!
Alright enough house keeping. BUT ONE MORE.. If you are a patient and have not written a google review, would you mind taking a couple moments? They really really help my practice and inspire others!
Brain Fortitude. The ability to utilize the brain to shut down unwanted thoughts and actions.
What do you mean doc?
Well, we know that the Brain controls every function in our body. But what if it fails to turn on or shut off certain systems?
What is happening here.? Usually, there is some malfunction in the frontal lobe in our brain. The frontal lobe is the executive functioning, reasoning, rationale, impulse control, allows us to start and finish tasks and provides short term memory. This is a huge driver for us as adults and children. You want to be able to access this part of your brain effectively and entirely. So how do we do that?
Well, the brain in general when you are able to utilize it, is better at inhibiting unwanted thoughts, actions and movements.
If not working right, it cannot put the brakes on the limbic system, emotional center. You can get stuck in this emotional paradigm where all rationality goes out the window. This is not where you want to be.
The frontal lobe is the most compromised when there is any injury to the head, brain or cervical spine. Children, are very sensitive when this section of the brain is compromised. This can be from trauma during the birth process, or any falls or injuries during childhood.
Neuro-expression is how the nervous system expresses itself, and it gives us a window into how the nervous system is working. For instance, a child’s behavior can be an outward expression of the integrity of the nervous system. If a child can’t sit for a long period of time, maybe are running around or kicking the desk of a child in front of them at school, chances are they have dysfunction going on in their vestibular system. If they are forceful, they could be lacking appropriate proprioceptive input and are trying to regulate their brain through this action. Many children may seem “defiant”, and although can be perceived this way, often times don’t want to do things that make their brain uncomfortable. Sometimes defiance is yes defiance, other times it’s a protective mechanism to avoid discomfort we cannot see.
What individuals react to will determine which part of their brain isn’t “online”.
What’s important to note here is that when children, and adults for that matter get into this state in their frontal lobe, cognitive or rational types of treatment doesn’t work effectively because they don’t understand. Methods like cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness and meditation won’t really be helpful here until the frontal lobe is on board. Their frontal lobe isn’t online and so rationality is out the window. When you regulate the sensory modulation and work with the frontal lobe, then you can do this other more rationale work and it be more successful!
The short story of this is that the brain ALWAYS has a reason to what it’s doing. Sometimes controlling emotions and other functions in our body is difficult when certain areas of the brain aren’t really working.
If you or someone you know has difficulty regulating their emotions, or difficulty controlling certain body systems, you might look to the brain for the answer. EVERYTHING in the body works better, when the brain is online…
So how do we make sure it is?
Work with the sensory nerves! Craniopathy and chiropractic manipulations with proper sensory/motor looping is where you’ll get the most success. I often see many children who have gone through so many different types of therapy prior to finding my clinic. Behavior therapy, speech therapy ect. Although some of these cognitive methods can provide some help, I find that many children aren’t even properly doing them because their frontal lobe isn’t online. Once we start working with those sensory deficiencies, most children can then go to different therapies and get much greater results. You can’t train something when the connection isn’t online!
This is not only for children, but for all of us. Many patients say that movement for instance is so much easier now that their brain is working better. Digestion is better, falling asleep is easier, and they aren’t reacting to stress as dramatic.
I hope you enjoyed this little snippet this week.
Despite all the negative things going on in our health system, I think 2020 is going to be a great year!
On the spotlight this week is DoTerra’s Juniper Berry.
Juniper Berry is a great oil to help balance the nervous system. It actually helps the NS to get into more of a parasympathetic tone, which we ALL need right?!
Extracted from the berries of a coniferous tree, Juniper Berry essential oil is recognized for its versatile uses and benefits. The scent of Juniper Berry oil is woody, spicy, and clean. When used for its aroma, Juniper Berry essential oil has a calming and grounding effect and can also be diffused to help cleanse and purify the air. Juniper Berry oil can be used internally as a powerful cleansing and detoxifying agent and to support urinary tract and healthy kidney function.* Applied topically, Juniper Berry essential oil acts as a natural skin toner and reduces the appearance of skin blemishes.
Juniper Berry Oil Uses and Benefits
- Juniper Berry essential oil is known for its ability to act as a natural skin toner and reduce the appearance of skin blemishes. To promote a clear and healthy complexion, apply one drop of Juniper Berry essential oil to your skin. You will love the refreshing look this oil brings to your skin!
- Your body is constantly working. Even when it is considered resting, the organs and functions of your body are continually in motion, working hard to provide for your needs. Show your body some love and give it an extra boost of support by taking Juniper Berry oil internally. Taken internally, Juniper Berry essential oil will help support healthy kidney and urinary tract function.*
- Fill your home with the refreshing scents of Juniper Berry and Bergamot essential oils with this incredible diffuser blend. For an optimal aroma, diffuse three drops of Juniper Berry and four drops of Bergamot for a light, fresh scent. Juniper Berry oil is ideal for diffusing due to its calming and grounding effects and its ability to cleanse the air. Bergamot is one of the best essential oil pairings for Juniper Berry, and will enhance the benefits of this aromatic fusion by providing a calming and uplifting effect. Together, this blend will enhance positive feelings and create a calming atmosphere.
- Time to invite your closest friends over for a doTERRA facemask party! Make a facemask all your friends will love by adding one to two drops of Juniper Berry to a Bentonite clay mask. Juniper Berry is valued for its ability to help reduce the appearance of skin blemishes and act as a natural skin toner. With Juniper Berry’s many facial enhancing properties, you won’t want to miss out on this rejuvenating face mask.
- Enrich your skin with the best of essential oils, while enjoying a relaxing massage. For a wonderful massage blend, combine Juniper Berry essential oil with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil for a soothing, cleansing massage. Juniper Berry oil contains powerful topical cleansing benefits that will help to cleanse the skin. The aroma of Juniper Berry oil will help provide a calming, grounding effect that is ideal for any massage.
- Try something new and turn an average meal into delectable meal by adding Juniper Berry essential oil. Juniper Berry oil goes great with French-inspired sauces and desserts and will give an unexpected boost to a variety of meals. For best results, use Juniper Berry essential oil sparingly.
- Natural cleanses are popular for a good reason. They help to remove toxic chemicals from body cells, support natural functions of the body, and promote overall well-being. If you are trying a natural cleanse, add one to two drops of Juniper Berry essential oil to water or citrus drinks as a part of your natural cleansing regimen.* Juniper Berry oil is excellent for cleanses due to its natural ability to cleanse and detoxify as well as support healthy kidney and urinary tract function.*
- There is no knowing what kinds of twists and turns may occur while traveling. For a positive traveling experience, always pack Juniper Berry essential oil in your getaway pack. Juniper Berry oil has a myriad of uses and benefits that can help ease emotional and physical problems that may arise when traveling.
- So much to do and so little time? When life has you feeling overwhelmed, put one to two drops of Juniper Berry essential oil into the palm of your hand and lightly rub your hands together. Cup your hands over your nose and inhale to help combat stressful feelings. Juniper Berry oil has incredible aromatic benefits that provide a grounding, calming effect—perfect for any busy day.
- Create your own freshening spray. Simply combine a couple of drops of Juniper Berry essential oil with water in a spray bottle and use to cleanse any area that needs it. This spray can be used to freshen a linen closet, mattress, car, or the air. Juniper Berry oil has natural cleansing benefits that make it a great essential oil for purifying and freshening.
It was said that if you dreamed of gathering juniper berries in winter, you would prosper. It is also noted that the berries of a common juniper signified honor or the birth of a boy.1
The common juniper, Juniperus communis, is an evergreen conifer tree that can grow up to 10 meters high and can live for as long as 200 years. The tree’s bark is grey-brown while the twigs of the tree are reddish brown. The leaves of the common juniper are needle-like with prickly points and are green in color. The tree also produces male and female flowers. The male flowers are small and yellow and grow near the tip of the twigs whereas the female flowers are green and eventually evolve into the purple fruit of the tree. The fruit is a berry-like cone that is fleshy and aromatic.2 doTERRA Juniper Berry essential oil is extracted from the berry of the common juniper plant.
Chemistry of Juniper Berry Oil
Main Chemical Components: α-pinene, sabinene
One of the main chemical constituents found in Juniper Berry essential oil is alpha-pinene. Alpha-pinene is a monoterpene which, due to its chemical properties, can help uplift and renew when used aromatically. Another main chemical component in Juniper Berry oil is sabinene. For more information about the chemical constituents found in Juniper Berry oil or other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.