OIL OF THE WEEK
On the spotlight this week is DoTerra’s Cassia.
Extracted from the bark of a Cinnamomum cassia plant, Cassia is a warm and spicy essential oil with a myriad of benefits that can help the mind and the body. For centuries, this sister to the cinnamon spice has been used internally to maintain physical health and aromatically to support emotional well-being. One of Cassia oil’s most prominent health benefits is its ability to promote healthy digestion when used internally.* Cassia is also a popular ingredient when making many different entrees, breads, and desserts. This spice is flavorful and can be used to replace cinnamon in a variety of food items. Along with its digestion benefits, Cassia oil can be taken internally to support healthy immune function and to maintain cardiovascular health.* Cassia oil is also a powerful agent when used aromatically. In small doses, its strong and spicy aroma can be used to create an uplifting atmosphere that will promote emotional health. The fragrance emitted from Cassia is recognized anciently in the Old Testament for its powerful scent and calming properties. Due to its caustic nature, Cassia oil should be diluted with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil when applied to the skin and can be very strong when inhaled directly.
- If you like citrus blends, you will love the refreshing twist that Cassia will bring. Add one drop of Cassia oil to your favorite citrus blend for a spicy and uplifting aroma. If you are looking for a great essential oil diffuser recipe using citrus oils and Cassia, combine three drops of 3 drops of Wild Orange essential oil with 2 drops of Cassia oil and diffuse. This diffuser recipe will provide you with warm, uplifting feelings.
- Because internal use of Cassia oil can help support healthy immune function,* Cassia is a powerful commodity in protecting the body from seasonal threats. To keep your body healthy throughout the year, take one to two drops of Cassia oil in a Veggie Capsule for added immune support when needed.*
- Relax and unwind from the day with a massage using Cassia oil. Combine one drop of Cassia oil with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut oil and massage into skin for a warming sensation. When applied topically, Cassia oil has the ability to help soothe the body and its aroma can help to uplift the senses. This massage blend is especially beneficial during the winter months due to its warming properties and spicy scent.
- Looking for something delicious to drink that will also provide internal benefits? Look no further. Combine one to two drops of Cassia oil with Lemon oil in a glass of water for a delicious essential oil infused water that can aid in digestion.* This lemon water and Cassia oil drink is also a perfect way to ward off hunger cravings.* Combined with frequent exercise and healthy eating, this drink can be a tasty option to aid in weight loss.*
- Exfoliate your skin with this do-it-yourself Festive Fall Sugar Scrub with Cassia oil. This customizable sugar scrub is a wonderful way to soften your skin while also enriching your senses with the fragrances of autumn. In this DIY, you can blend the rich scents of Cassia, Ginger, and Clove essential oils for an uplifting and rejuvenating look and feel your skin will want to thank you for. This sugar scrub is also a great gift for friends, birthdays, baby showers, teacher gifts, or simply showing someone you are thinking of them.
- Cassia is a heart-healthy essential oil when used internally. If you are looking for a way to help support your cardiovascular system, use Cassia oil internally. Put one to two drops of Cassia oil in a Veggie Capsule to promote healthy cardiovascular system function.*
- Cassia oil can be just as powerful in the kitchen as it is on the body. The spicy, cinnamon taste of Cassia can be used to spruce up a variety of traditional recipes—especially during the holiday season. Cassia oil can be used in pies, breads, and other entrees or deserts. Because Cassia is a close relative to cinnamon, it can replace cinnamon in many different foods.
- Along with its uplifting aroma, Cassia oil can also produce feelings of excitement. Get the most out of Cassia by diffusing it for its aromatic benefits. Diffusing Cassia oil can help promote feelings of arousal.
- Inspire your senses with this choice doTERRA diffuser blend using Cassia oil. Place 2 drops of Cassia, 4 drops of Wild Orange, and 2 drops of White Fir oil into a diffuser for a refreshing aroma. With White Fir’s calming effect and Wild Orange’s energizing aroma, this diffuser trio is a stabilizing blend you will not want to miss out on.
- Are you a lover of the great outdoors? In outdoor activities and especially during hikes, hydration is a crucial element to maintaining health and enjoying your outside adventures. To support hydration, put a drop of Cassia oil in your water for a delicious flavoring to help increase your water intake when hiking or doing extensive outdoor activity.
Cinnamaldehyde, the main chemical constituent of Cinnamon Bark and Cassia essential oils, is well known for its warm, spicy aroma. A study printed in the June 2015 issue of the Journal of Cellular Biochemistry suggests that cinnamaldehyde acts to support healthy molecular function in the kidneys.*
The molecular environment of kidneys is dependent on many biochemical pathways. Biochemical pathways can be thought of as a Rube Goldberg machine. One molecule stimulates another molecule to act on a different set of molecules, and so on, in a chain of events until the desired outcome is achieved. This study showed that cinnamaldehyde inactivated the JAK2-STAT1/STAT3 biochemical pathway in the kidney cells, which may help keep kidney cells healthy.*